That's Saying Something

Only a man who carries a gun needs one - Harry Carey in Angel and the Badman



Friday, April 1, 2016

A is for Alfred




Today is the beginning of A to Z challenge 2016.  This is the first time I am participating from YBD as YBD hardly existed last April.  My theme is the one I planned to use at HSD this year.  The theme is comic book characters.





A is for Alfred


Full Name:  Alfred Pennyworth
Occupation:  Wayne Family Butler and aide to Batman
First Appearance:  Batman #16 (1943)

Cover from first appearance of Alfred
I chose Alfred rather than a hero for several reasons.  Antman and Atom kind of cancel each other out and I have never been a big fan of aquaman.  Alfred is what my Father-in-law used to call a secret hero, the character in a show that is the glue that holds everything together.  I am also including him here as I am not including his employer tomorrow.  Batman is one of the mainstays of comicbook lore and since I am not featuring him tomorrow, I am going out of my way to make room for other members of the "Batman Family" in my list.

For more A to Z blogging click here.

ADDED BONUS.

A few years ago my kids absolutely fell in love with the book Super Hero ABC by Bob
McLeod

Click on the image to get the book from Amazon.

As I run through the letter of the alphabet I will try to show pages from this fine book as well




This post is also available at HSD


4 comments:

  1. Interesting. I know very little about superheroes in general, so it was informative, too.

    Ericka from
    A Quiet Girl’s Musings…

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to enjoy this series. As you know, I'm doing something similar on my blog.

    Btw, I blog as The Silver Fox, but my real name is David, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that term "secret hero". Alfred would definitely fall into that category.

    @WeekendsInMaine
    Weekends in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Alfred is a great character. I think I would like to have him as a butler myself :)

    great start to A/Z :)

    betty
    http://viewsfrombenches.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Writing

Writing
Is a Skill